Friday, March 20, 2015

We're a GO for tonight!

Dear Brethren and Friends:

I just spoke with our Commander-in-Chief, Ill. Art Becker, 33 MSA.
We are ON for this evening!
Visibility isn't all that great but generally the roads aren't bad. Please exercise caution while enroute to the Temple this evening.
We'll see YOU tonight!

Opening Night

Dear Brethren and Friends:

Tonight's the Night! Our Spring Reunion Opening Night.
The snowfall has begun in the area and the weather is looking sketchy. The Commander-in-Chief will make his decision later this morning. Once I hear from him you will hear from me. But as of right now we are a GO for tonight!
We have a total of 39 Candidates for this Class. We have some new Brethren taking part in the Degrees. It's going to be a BIG night for our Valley.
If we do go forward with the meeting, please be careful on your way in. The weather folks are saying that we will see heavy wet snow falling during the 5PM rush hour, which is when you'll most likely be on your way in to the Temple. Take your time.
Again, if anything should change, I will be in touch with you IMMEDIATELY through this medium, the blog and Twitter, also on the Valley's voicemail.
Have a great R.E.D. Friday everyone. Hope to see you this evening!
Be careful out there!

Thursday, March 19, 2015

No Decision Yet - Stay Tuned!

Brethren: I just spoke with Illustrious Bro. Art about our meeting tomorrow night.
As of right now, he and I both agree that we will speak again tomorrow around noon regarding whether or not to go forward with our meeting.
Stay tuned!

Thursday Morning Update

Dear Brethren and Friends:
Good Morning everyone and welcome to Thursday!
In checking the weather this morning the storm pattern threatening our area tomorrow is still on track to possibly disrupt our plans.
As I mentioned in my earlier (or later last evening) post, I will talk with the Ill. Art Becker, 33 MSA, our Commander-in-Chief about this today. As soon as I have any updates or information I will get them out here, on my blog ( and on both the Valley's (@PhilaScotRite) and my own (@SteveAfromPA) Twitter accounts.
I'm already receiving questions from those that missed the dinner reservation deadline regarding the possibility of getting into the count for next Friday should we have to move the meeting. No promises. I will discuss this with the Caterer, but remember, you had plenty of time the first time!
We don't want to have cancel and reschedule our Reunion Opening, but your safety is our first and foremost concern.
Have a great Thursday everyone!
Stay tuned for updates!

Possible Snow Emergency for Friday

I'm sure many of you are following the weather forecast for Friday. It doesn't look good. As of 11 PM this evening, they're calling for snow in the morning, changing to snow and rain in the afternoon, which will make for slushy conditions, more snow during the evening rush hour and possibly ending with freezing rain. We're not supposed to get too much, only 3 inches, but we have to be prepared either way. Hopefully they'll be wrong. But, again we have to be prepared.
I plan to speak with the Commander-in-Chief on Thursday about this and see what his feelings are.
Stay tuned to this blog for information as things develop. As soon as I know, you'll know.
If we should have to cancel, I will ask each of you that are recommenders to assist me in letting the Candidates know what is happening. I will call them as well.
If we should have to cancel, I will discuss this with the Committee on Temple office to see about rescheduling our meeting for NEXT Friday.27 March.
But of course this is all thinking ahead. As of right now, we are a GO for this Friday, but we need to be prepared for change.
This won't be the first time we've had to move a March meeting. Some of you might remember the Statewide Ice Storm we had during Ill. Daniel Martin, 33's term as Commander-in-Chief. We survived that, we'll survive this.
Change and adapt. If we have to, we will.
As we used to say in the Navy; Stand by for heavy rolls!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

BRETHREN: Here are the totals regarding our 2015 Spring Class, the, 'Ill. Russell W. Baker, 33, Deputy for Pennsylvania Class"
Lodge No. 9- 2 Candidates
Washington No. 59- 1 Candidate
Concordia No. 67- 6 Candidates 
St. Johns No. 115-1 Candidate
Brotherhood No. 126- 4 Candidates
Houseman No. 211- 1 Candidate
Thomson No. 340- 4 Candidates
Williamson-Corinthian No. 368- 2 Candidates
Friendship-Williams No. 400-1 Candidate
Mozart No. 436- 1 Candidate
Kennett No. 475- 1 Candidate
Jerusalem No. 506-1 Candidate
St. Albans No. 529- 2 Candidates
Prospect No. 578- 2 Candidates
Equity No. 591-1 Candidate
Tacony No. 600- 5 Candidates
Springfield-Hanby No. 767- 1 Candidate
Thank you to all the Brethren who are the recommenders for this Class.
Don't see your Lodge listed? NOW is the time to get a Candidate for the 2015 Fall Class. Keep YOUR Valley growing!

Dear Brethren and Friends:

One step closer to the start of the Reunion!
This evening in Gothic Hall, the 7th and 22nd Degrees hold their FINAL rehearsals.
The 22nd Degree Cast will rehearse at 6:30PM followed by the 7th Degree Cast at 7:30PM
Parking is in the Convention Center Parking Facility, 1324 Arch Street and as always, the dress code for the Masonic Temple is coat and tie.
To both Casts: Have a great rehearsal. We're all looking forward to your presentations on Friday night.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Brethren: I took a number of phone calls in the office today in which I had to turn Brethren away from making a dinner reservation for Friday evening's meal.
Needless to say those Brethren were not happy when I told them that they were of course welcome to come to the meeting but not the dinner.
To be fair, yes in the past our reservation deadline was always the Wednesday of the meeting week. That changed when Edgemont Caterers was awarded the contract to provide food at the Masonic Temple. Originally Edgemont wanted our reservations in 10 days prior to the meeting. I argued that policy wouldn't work for us as our Petition Deadline had always been the week before the meeting. They relented and allowed us to extend our deadline to the same date.
That date is advertised in THE DOUBLE EAGLE. Every Valley member gets a copy of that. You know well in advance of the when the deadline is. You have the option of sending in a paid reservation, calling it in, emailing it in or using our Facebook group to make a reservation. Waiting until after the deadline is neglect and will not do anything for you.
Please know that beginning next month, the reservation deadline will be a day earlier as I have to let Caterer know that same day we were closing our reservation and we have had a number of Brethren call after the reservations have closed. I will still add an extra 10 reservations for those that might not get their reservation in a timely fashion.
I always provide the dinner information with at least 3 to 2 1/2 weeks to go before the deadline. Which gives the membership plenty of time to make a reservation in advance.
Thank you for your understanding and your continued expected cooperation.

Monday, March 9, 2015

Dear Brethren and Friends:

Good Morning Everyone! Happy Monday and welcome to Deadline Week!
Yes, that's right this coming Friday, 13 March is your LAST CHANCE to get your dinner reservations in for next Friday's dinner and for your Candidate to petition our Spring Class! If you don't have a Candidate yet, you've got work to do and not much time left to do it!
This evening our 4th Degree Cast holds their first rehearsal prior to next Friday's conferral. We have a number of 'newbies' in this Cast. THANK YOU to them for stepping up and volunteering. Hopefully this will be a GREAT first experience for them and the start of a lifetime of involvement in the Valley!
The rehearsal starts at 7PM in Gothic Hall. Parking is at the Convention Center Parking Facility, 1324 Arch Street and as always, coat and tie is the dress code for the Masonic Temple.
Have a GREAT Monday everyone and an even better week ahead!
Get a Candidate!